OnSwipe redirect code

Monday, June 7, 2010

Very high startup time for vim under screen (GNU-Screen) -- SESSION_MANAGER

I have been using GNU-Screen for a while now and it has been very useful. Today morning when I started working, I noticed that vim is taking unusually long time to start up. It was very irritating. I had faced this same issue some time back but I could not recall the solution. I just remembered that it had something to do with GNOME and the display settings. On searching I found a couple of posts which said that this is because of vim trying to connect to an X which either is on a distant machine (distant in terms of network delay) or it is trying to connect to an non-existent X server. Another post on Ubuntu forums suggested that this could be because of multiple entries for 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/hosts file. Various combination of commenting/un-commenting entries did not help. I checked the DISPLAY env variable. It looked good too.

Finally I resorted to the last option of using strace. strace did reveal interesting stuff. I saw the that the wait/delay was because of a connect() call. Here are a few lines from strace output :

:~$ cat strace.vim.out | grep connect
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/6386"}, 21) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = 0
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = 0
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = 0
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/centrifydc/daemon2"}, 25) = 0


This confirmed the fact that it was a network related thing, i.e vim is trying to connect to something that did not exist. I thought my X (or GDM to be more precise) was screwed up and thought of logging out and logging back in. I thought of doing some more experiments with this setup to find out what caused the problem.

All of this was running under my gnu-screen session. I opened another gnome terminal to read the redirected output of strace. Accidentally I used vim itself to open the file. Before I realized my mistake and I could start cursing myself, vim popped up..! It was there up and running as fast as it could be... !! Then it hit me that it could be my screen session which is causing this. I did not know how to find the differences in the two environments - in and out of screen. To solve this particular problem I ran strace on vim in the new terminal so that I could compare the two and find out what is lacking. Here is what strace told me in the terminal outside screen :

:~$ cat outside.strace.vim.out | grep connect
connect(3, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.ICE-unix/28919"}, 22) = 0
connect(4, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = 0
connect(5, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/tmp/.X11-unix/X0"}, 110) = 0
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/run/nscd/socket"}, 110) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
connect(6, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/var/centrifydc/daemon2"}, 25) = 0


The difference in the path was obvious. On searching through the list of environment variables SESSION_MANAGER came up. It is the variable which will tell all gnome based apps how to contact the X (or the GNOME session). I do not know what caused this disparity, but most likely setting the appropriate value inside the screen session would have worked. Well it would have worked in one of the screen windows in which I change the value. I have several such windows, so I just chose to start a new screen session.

No comments:

Post a Comment